Wednesday, August 25, 2021

#RPGaDay2021 Day 26: Theory

Theory! I'd guess the average role player just runs and plays games without much thought given to theory. Even many RPG designers I'm quite sure have gone about game designing without much thought to RPG theory, even if they give thought to probability, or are informally theorizing. When it comes to theory and RPGs I definitely think of it as being more akin to Music Theory than... a Gravitational Theory or something of the like. A musician can also make plenty of great music without ever learning music theory, but music theory can open a musician up to some concepts they may not stumble upon themselves. 

Anyways, I'm sure some readers may be like, "RPG Theory? Never heard of it." Well, I'm definitely not up to defining it rigorously and will direct you to this Wikipedia page on Role-playing game theory just to get you started if you're fresh to the idea. I remember first hearing about RPG theory happening vaguely through the old newsgroups, where the "Threefold Model" was developed, and I personally visited The Forge forums during their heyday quite a bit, where Ron Edwards would publish his RPG theorizing. I personally found it to be interesting stuff, though internet forums have shown me it is very much not everyone's cup of tea.

This leads to another point... RPG theory on RPG forums can get pretty contentious and tribal and flame-war-y I've found. Other times tastes and theory are conflated when they shouldn't be. Sometimes someone's theory will be strongly stated, and this rubs certain people the wrong way. Debating and hypothesizing can all be a useful part of these discussions, but there is a dynamic where some people are inclined to take personal offense rather than just maybe think a particular theory is silly or maybe just not for them. 

I love people's RPG theories and takes just as a general rule, especially when stated boldly. I'm playing in and enjoying my own games, but other peoples' thoughts can only expand my point of view, and if I'm lucky, give me a brand new insight or angle to look at things from. A satisfying RPG theory for me is one that provides a lens to examine other games or my own play through, and it goes in a bag where I can pull it out and use it whenever I'm in the mood. It's not about right or wrong or "truth", only "does this spark interesting thoughts in my head" or "does this clarify my tastes and help me get to RP & games I enjoy more."

So, enjoy your RPG theorizing, but don't forget to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Year of Absence

Oh man! It happened. Any of you still around may vaguely remember that my last post was about some minor progress I had made on a "Game...